In the Hortus you can
- Look at the plants
- Smell the flowers
- Listen to the birds
- Enjoy the peace and quiet
Entering the Hortus is at your own risk. For the protection of our plant collection and yourself, we ask you to follow our house rules.
Respect other visitors and the garden, keep the garden tidy, be quiet and help us to keep the garden safe, beautiful and serene.
We thank you for your cooperation!
House rules for visitors
- Access to the Hortus only with a valid ticket.
- The Orangery is part of the Hortus. Only visitors with a valid entrance ticket have access to the museum café.
- Dogs or other pets are not allowed in the Hortus. Exceptions are only made for guide dogs, provided they are leashed.
- The Hortus is fairly accessible for wheelchair users. Some parts of the greenhouses, however, are difficult to reach. Please note that the paths of the garden are made of gravel. A wheelchair is available for those visitors who are less mobile.
- Suitcases or large travel (back)bags are not allowed in the garden. We do not have a guarded cloakroom or lockers. Bags, suitcases or other belongings cannot be taken into custody by our staff at the entrance, shop or museum café.
- It is not allowed to consume personal refreshments on the terrace of the Orangery or in the museum café.
- It is not allowed to park bicycles, mopeds, scooters, strollers or scootmobiles at the entrance square in front of the porter’s lodge.
- Entering the Hortus is at your own risk. Some plants are poisonous or have spines and there are ponds in the garden.
- Visitors must stay on the paths.
- It is forbidden to touch the plants, break them or to take them out of the garden. Neither should fruits, flowers, seeds, eggs, caterpillars or butterflies be taken out of the garden.
- It is not allowed to eat fruits or seeds of the plants.
- Children should be supervised by an adult at any time.
- The Hortus is a smoke-free zone. No smoking is allowed in the garden, the greenhouses or at the cafe.
- It is prohibited to use, possess or trade drugs on the Hortus premises.
- It is prohibited to carry weapons in the garden. This applies to batons, sticks, knives and firearms.
- Photography and filming are allowed in the garden, provided it is for personal use only. Photo- or filmshoots for commercial purposes should be booked in advance through 020-625 90 21. The Hortus uses hourly rates for commercial photography and filming in the garden and greenhouses.
- Inside the buildings (the museum café shop, the greenhouses and the office) smoking is not allowed.
- The use of cell phones or laptops is not allowed inside the museum café or on the terrace.
- Loud music from radio, CD, DVD or MP3 players is not allowed in the Hortus.
- Balls, Frisbees etc. cannot be used in the Hortus.
- Do not throw stones, sand, twigs or other material into the ponds.
- All visitors must behave properly and ensure safety for themselves and others.
- The staff of the Hortus is entitled to send visitors off the site.
- Visitors must leave the Hortus at closing time.